Our Health Library information does not replace the advice of a doctor. Please be advised that this information is made available to assist our patients to learn more about their health. Our providers may not see and/or treat all topics found herein.
Vasectomy reversal (vasovasostomy) reconnects the tubes (vas deferens) that were cut during a vasectomy. A vasectomy is considered a permanent method of birth control. But reversal surgery may let a man father a child after a vasectomy.
The doctor makes two small cuts (incisions) on both sides of the scrotum. Then the two ends of the tubes are joined. Sperm can now move through this tube to the penis.
Vasectomy reversal usually doesn't require an overnight stay in the hospital.
You may go back to work or your normal routine in 1 week. Lie down as much as you can for the next week.
What To Expect
You can expect to go home the same day.
Pain may be mild to moderate. You should be able to resume normal activities, including sex, within 3 weeks.
How Well It Works
Chances of a successful vasectomy reversal decline over time. Reversals work best during the first 10 years after a vasectomy.footnote 1
In general, vasectomy reversal:footnote 2
- Leads to overall pregnancy rates of greater than 50%.
- Has the greatest chance of success within 3 years of the vasectomy.
- Leads to pregnancy only about 30% of the time if the reversal is done 10 years after the vasectomy.
Risks of vasectomy reversal include:
- Infection at the site of surgery.
- Fluid buildup in the scrotum (hydrocele) that may require draining.
- Injury to the arteries or nerves in the scrotum.
- Roncari D, Jou MY (2011). Female and male sterilization. In RA Hatcher, et al., eds., Contraceptive Technology, 20th rev. ed., pp. 435–482. New York: Ardent Media.
- Speroff L, Darney PD (2011). Sterilization. In A Clinical Guide for Contraception, 5th ed., pp. 381–404. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins.
Current as of: February 10, 2021
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2021 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.